7 Dental Procedures Performed in Cosmetic Dentistry
Esthetics has become a big deal in this era. From surgeries to makeups, it seems as though everyone is competing for the top rank of the most attractive human being. A lot of the demand for looking good has spilled over to dentistry, where dental experts have had to carve out various techniques to improve the appearance of teeth.
When it comes to cosmetic dentistry in Phoenix, the smile makeover techniques go beyond the beautification of teeth. Many components add up to make a beautiful smile, including the gum tissue. If you are looking to improve the appearance of your teeth, read on to learn more about cosmetic dentistry and the treatments involved thereof.
What Is Cosmetic Dentistry?
It is a specialty of dentistry, set aside for the esthetic needs of patients regarding dental health. It is easily differentiated from other specialties from the way it prioritizes the aesthetic appeal over other factors in dental care. If you were to walk into any dental office near you with a vision of what you want your teeth to look like, there would be endless suggestions to what your dentist can do for you.
Before any procedure commences, the attending dentist has to take a close look at your oral cavity. This is the moment to evaluate the state of the different parts of your oral cavity, monitor how extensive any damages are, and come up with a unique treatment plan to transform your smile.
Which Dental Treatments Fall Under Cosmetic Dentistry?
Different things can be done to improve your smile. The idea is to focus on all the things you consider aesthetically appealing, relative to what dental experts can do for you. Some of the incredible ways to improve your smile in cosmetic dentistry include the following:
- Teeth whitening – a bright smile is ultimately a beautiful smile. You can have all the stains on your teeth whitened, or better yet, have the discoloration covered with dental veneers.
- Unusually short teeth – short teeth are not attractive. They make your smile appear gummier than it is. Therefore, you can have a cosmetic dentist alter the length of your teeth using oral veneers.
- Badly shaped teeth – crooked teeth get you the wrong kind of attention. The same can be said for teeth that are too pointy. Reshaping teeth is a specialty of cosmetic dentistry. As for the crookedness in your teeth, perhaps dental veneers would do you more good than the lengthy process of orthodontics.
- Spaces between teeth – thus are yet another orthodontic problem that can leave you feeling bad about being in your skin. Such spaces are formed because your teeth are not big enough to fully accommodate the space available in your jawbone. The spaces between your teeth can be closed with dental veneers, replacing the need for orthodontic treatment.
- Missing teeth – gaps caused by losing teeth are different from those of orthodontic nature. In this case, you require a treatment that can replace your missing teeth to complete your smile.
- Gum grafting surgery – this is a treatment option offered for patients that have suffered from gum infection. In their case, the infection had damaged the gum tissue, causing gum recession that exposes the roots of teeth. This will give you a bad look especially by making your teeth look longer than they are. For such, the dentist will use gum grafts to restore the health of the gum tissue, giving you a more uniform smile.
- Gum reduction – sometimes it is not about the insufficiency of the gum tissue but rather the abundance of it. It makes you have a gummy smile, where too much of your gums show when you smile. For this, the cosmetic oral surgeon will perform a surgical procedure meant to reduce your gum tissue, enough to perfect your smile.
Should You Have A Smile Makeover?
Deciding to change your smile is a big decision. It will make a big impact on the quality of your life. Besides, depending on what oral problems you have, you may need multiple cosmetic procedures to perfect your smile. However, it is all worth it considering the cosmetic benefits and the confidence boost you get after your treatment.